Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Yes, I'm Still Here

Yes, I know I have been a terrible blogger lately.  Sometimes my blog is all I think about it and I truly enjoy it; other times it feels like one more chore on my already lengthy to-do list.  Recently, it's been the later (obviously).  But, I think I'm getting back into the swing of things so here are some recent snip-its as to what has been going on in our little neck of the woods.  

First and foremost, we have some new members in our household.  About three weeks ago, George and Beauty came to live with us.  George is four and Beauty is "still just little."  They are here almost everyday.  I feed them, bathe them, tuck them in at night, etc.  And why is this so annoying to me?  Because they aren't real!!!  I know I sound a little harsh but seriously folks, my hands are full and I really don't have time to be figuring out where George and Beauty are going to sleep each night, setting two extra settings at the table, serving two extra snacks at snack time, etc.  To make matters worse, Valina (and yes, it does rhyme with...), who is the mom, has 2 more babies "growing in her heart".  According to E, they will be here very soon.  I am trying to be a good mom about this and it really is quite adorable.  However, when Miss Lindsey, our preschool teacher, told me that her daughter had an imaginary friend for over three years, I really wanted to cry! 
   
Easter turned out to be wonderfully relaxing this year.  Saturday evening I began my typical pre-holiday frenzy routine.  The kids did not go to bed until late and by the time I sat foot in the kitchen to begin making pies and other prep work for Easter dinner, it was 9:00.  My husband gave me that look that only he can get away with and somehow convinced me  that we didn't need to do any of it.  So, the next morning the kids opened their Easter baskets, we put the ham in the oven and went to church.  When we came home Jeff fried up some potatoes, I steamed some broccoli and Voila!  Dinner was served.  And for dessert we had vanilla ice cream and strawberries as opposed to the strawberry-rhubarb pie that I probably would have finished at midnight on Saturday.  That afternoon I took a 2 hour nap, we went to the park, and then a bike ride.  It turned out to be the most relaxing holiday that I can remember since having children.  Boy I'm so glad my husband knows how to deal with me sometimes!  

The only negative point to our Easter day was that it ended with K complaining about his throat and mouth bothering him.  I knew it was from too many jelly beans.  On Monday morning he had a few canker sores in his mouth and later that day I noticed he had hives on his hands and feet.  I called the doctor to see what I could give him as he was becoming quite miserable.  The nurse informed me that he hand, foot and mouth disease!   Oh sheeezzz!!!  Am I the worst mom that passes off some horrible virus telling her child he shouldn't eat so much candy???? Ughhh.... I'm sure he contracted it from the  Easter Party on Saturday morning.  Luckily, E and A haven't come down with anything, yet---knock very hard on wood.  

Other than K's nasty viral infection, the kids are doing well.   Jessica's big graduation day is quickly approaching and I am officially beginning to panic about planning her party.  My biggest stress is my backyard.   It needs a serious make-over plus I am lonnnggginnggg for a garden.  However, I am lacking pretty much every necessary resource to get that to happen (i.e. time, money, energy, know-how, etc., time, etc. time.)  I have seriously begun considering entering us in one of those backyard make-over shows or perhaps While You Were Out.    Is that show even airing anymore?   All I know is that I need some serious help back there so please feel free to enter me in any backyard sweepstakes that you may run into.  

I am getting excited for my sister's wedding as well as the birth of my Nathan and Hillary's twins.   I've been drooling over flower-girl dresses and onesies.  I know this summer is going to be a busy one so I am trying to gear up and do as much planning ahead of time as possible.   Speaking of which, I need a nap.  :)  



1 comment:

hillary said...

Thanks for the update. I am glad you took it easy on Easter. Sometimes you have to just let it go and take the easy route. . . I hope Kobe gets better and many wishes for you to enjoy planning Jessica's graduation party.