So this is what your children start to look like after they have been watching too much television.
What an easy habit to get in to and a very difficult one to break! Since Addison was born, Jeff typically gets up with Kobe and Ellie in the morning while I am nursing. They all have some "cuddle time" on the couch and watch about 1 hour of television. At 12:00, their favorite show, Calliou, comes on. This works out great for me because it gives me time to prepare lunch, pick-up and get ready for nap time. After naps, Kobe and Ellie like to have a little snack and again, watch a video or another show on PBS. We have been following this routine for several months now and I really hadn't given it much thought. Last week, however, it dawned on me... my children are watching 2 plus hours of television each day!!! UGGHHH!!! "What am I doing?" I thought. I never intended this to happen and suddenly I feel like my children are turning into little t.v. zombies!
A few years ago I read The Plug-In Drug by Marie Winn. It's a great book which examines the affects television, computers, video games, etc. have on family life and children. It is very educational but it's one of those books that you wish you hadn't read some days. It talks about the impact too much television can have on small children and how it can impact their imaginations, brain development, etc. Yuk.
So starting today, we are going on a television diet. The television was mysteriously "broken" this morning. It began working again around lunch time but I think it might be on the fritz again after naps. My goal is to try to limit it to 1/2 hour each day, with the occasional exception of course.
In the meantime, I am sooo thankful that the writer's strike is over. I can't wait for Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy to return!
Do as I say children! :)
1 comment:
That picture is TOO funny!!!
Post a Comment