My Grandmother is an wonderful cook. Growing up, a trip to Grandma's house meant lots of wonderful things-- one of these being some serious comfort food. One of my favorite dishes she made quite frequently was chicken and dumplings. A few years ago when visiting, I asked her to teach me how to make it. As I was boning the chicken, my grandma went to get the recipe for the dumplings. I imagined her returning with a worn recipe card, probably hand written by one of my great grandmothers. I thought there would probably be a story (as there usually is in our family) to accompany the lesson, such as how this recipe had been passed down from generations. Needless to say, I was a little surprised when she returned with the Bisquick box! Looking back now I realize why she used this recipe. It's quick, easy, inexpensive and it tastes like it was made from scratch. All my kids love it, especially Jenna. She even requested it for her birthday meal this weekend. - 1 whole chicken
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cups milk (I've used soy milk and it's worked just fine)
Cover chicken with water in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for an hour. Let cool. Skim off of some of the fat. Bone chicken and cut into chunks. Dispose of the skin and bones. Return broth to stove and cook to boil over medium heat. As warming, add the chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. As the broth is warming mix Bisquick and milk until soft dough forms. Add dumplings by teaspoonfuls to boiling broth. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered, 10 minutes covered.
1 comment:
That is so funny. I discovered that too when I was staying with her!! I said "now is this the recipe you've always used?!" ;-) I hope the facials went well!! Still can't believe Jenna is 13 and Jessie 17!!
Post a Comment