Jeff will tell you that he misses the real estate business. He misses having a flexible schedule and more time with his family. He hates being behind a desk all day and hates even more doing the old-hum-drum "8-5:00."
I, however, love his new job.
It's not that I didn't enjoy having him pop in from time to time unexpectedly during the day, or being able to leave town on a moment's notice. Those things were great. But that is not what I'm in it for. For me Jeff's job satisfaction is based on three criteria: (1) pay; (2) benefits; and (3) what he has to talk about at the end of the day.
I need new and exciting material to keep me going. Something that I have never heard of before. Not that drab old real estate talk and certainly not anything having to do with social work. YUK! Market values, new subs being built---boring. Mass causality situations, bio-terrorism, flu epidemics--okay now we're talking. A little gruesome and frightening but it's also interesting stuff folks!
One of the latest things that Jeff has been working on is the Idaho Pan Flu Epidemic campaign. I had no idea the vast impact that flu pandemics have had on our country and the impact they can, and most likely will, have on our future. For example, over 50 million people died from a pandemic flu in the 1920's. In fact, due to the pandemic, there wasn't any real outcome to WWI--it just kind of fizzled away because there were so many deaths. (I really don't remember this in history class!) More soldiers died from the flu than they died from fighting. The other startling thing is mostly middle aged people were affected. Young children and the elderly who are usually the most susceptible for some unknown reason were rarely infected by the virus.
Jeff's program has just launched a new web-site on the Pan Flu Epidemic which includes tons of great information including history and what we need to do to prepare. Hopefully, some of you have heard the commercials that have just started to air. I would really encourage everyone to check it out. Although I have been making light of the subject, it really is a scary and serious thing. The website has some really helpful checklists for families and individuals. They suggest that you have at least a two week supply of food and water plus other emergency supplies. Another great website to check out is the World Health Organization. They track points of outbreaks. Currently we are at a level 3 World Wide. Who knows how quickly that will change.
In the meantime, I will keep you all posted on my job satisfaction level. :)
Love and good health to all!
1 comment:
OMG, you are sooooo funny. I mean I know it is serious but this also seriously cracked me up!! Love you!!
Post a Comment